Since it began in 2014, the Bal des enfants and its donors have raised more than $400,000 net in support of the OSM’s mission of education and accessibility.
More than 1,000 people, including 520 last year alone, chosen through more than 40 organizations dedicated to helping families in need, were invited to enjoy a concert at no charge thanks to the Bal des enfants. We hope to increase this number to 580 in 2017. The broad OSM team is proud to have been able to offer, for most of these families, a first concert experience at the Maison symphonique de Montréal. These family concert outings allow children to share a magical moment with a parent, grandparent or guardian.
The Bal des enfants is just one of the Orchestra’s initiatives to ensure that symphonic music is accessible to everyone.
Introducing young people to the Orchestra
- 12 youth concerts each season, attended by more than 20,000 youngsters;
- More than 220 sessions introducing elementary school students to classical music;
- 6 teaching guides for schools, including 4 concert guides and 2 general guides (elementary and high school level);
- Musicians’ workshop in schools;
- The creation of a Web platform for the youth concerts;
- Partnership between the OSM and school with a musical vocation;
Making classical music more accessible
- 30 concerts starting at $10 during the Classical Spree festival;
- More than 30,000 spectators this summer in the parks and at the Festival Lanaudière;
- 20 pre-concert discussionsduring the regular season;
- And many other activities.